I am often enthralled by the people, places, and cultures foreign to my everyday surroundings. I began cultivating my voice as an artist by interpreting how I feel and see the world onto the canvas. Naturally I transitioned to using globes as a substrate for my paintings to further express my child-like curiosities and wanderlust spirit. Painting on a sphere has proven to be both a challenging and fun experience.
My process begins by priming the surface with Gesso and then layering on a variety of mediums such as acrylic paint, spray paint, and gold leaf. I create intuitively allowing land-forms and imagery to emerge organically—if at all. I will often add textures and details using the end of my paint brush or any other tools I can find, as I dance to music in my studio and let my mind wander to faraway places. My most recent work is a reflection of my desire to explore the world and my personal encounters abroad. It is influenced by cartography, travel, culture, and is held by private collectors all around the world.
- I have a Bachelors in Journalism and Masters in Education, but I went back to school for Interior Design just for fun!
- I've chosen a word to focus on for the past 6 years and it has been a game changer for sure--this year my word is value.
- A few things I love are 80's music, old photos, writing, and African drum circle.
- People always seem surprised to learn that I am 40 Earth years--#blackgirlmagic ;)
- The thing I've feared the most has become the thing that brings excitement and immense joy to my life--TRAVEL!